The mexican hispanic americans

Document Type:Thesis

Subject Area:Social Work

Document 1

It is through war treaties and purchase of the land that brought the region under the jurisdiction of the United States. Close 100000 Mexicans became Americans due to the annexation. The place that was in Mexico before it became part of America. The citizens became subject of discrimination: they were lynched, deprived of their properties and paid low wages in employment. More Mexicans moved to the US, about 75000 in 1890 when there was a need for cheap labor (Mexican Americans, n. d. The great depression of 1920, however, forced an estimated 80000 to split their families and communities and repatriated back to Mexico. Despite the immigration cycles millions of Mexicans have found a home in the United States. They have played a key role in the culture, economy and rendering various services to the country. Currently, there is an estimate of 33. million Mexican Americans of Hispanic origin. million Of the population are born in America while 11. million were born in Mexico but moved to America. In other words, 65% of Hispanic Mexicans are born in the US while the remaining 35% are born in Mexico while Mexicans form the largest Hispanic group in the US totaling to about two-thirds (64%) of the Hispanic population of the United States (Engstrom, 2017). They make a significant number of US citizens is accounting for about 11% of the entire population. Cultural features of the Hispanic Mexicans of America The Mexicans of Hispanic origin is a community of vibrant culture as seen in their customs and traditions. It is a community of rich religious practices, language, and social values.

Sign up to view the full document!

Their culture is further defined with foods, clothing, art, and traditional celebrations. Majority of them speak Spanish as their native language. A lot to do with the Mexican culture gravitates around their religious values and the church. They also practice gender roles and have traditional marriages. They hold celebrations to mark important occasions and strengthen the bonds with families, relative, and friends. The community has a vibrant culinary tradition as seen in their foods. Among the staple foods are corn, rice, pepper, tomatoes, beans, pumpkins, avocadoes, and chocolates. Their popular beverage is tequila brewed from agave cactus. Two thirds their population (66%) above 5 years old speak proficient English. The remaining 34% speak English less frequently but in equal share among the Hispanics (Gonzalez-Barrera & Lopez, 2013). About 89% of the native-born Mexicans above 5 years old speak good English while about 29% of the Mexican immigrants can communicate in English.

Sign up to view the full document!

Based on Age the Mexicans of Hispanic origin is the youngest population in the United States even among all Hispanics. Their median age is 25. The community is regionally dispersed in that more than half (52%) of them live in West with 36% staying California. live to the South with 25% occupying Texas. There is however no major variation in regional dispersion of the Mexicans of Hispanic origin by nativity. The community has a lower level of education in the entire Hispanic population. The US-born Mexican are three-time likely educated than their immigrant counterpart. Society’s cultural values and identities heavily influence gender roles. The competency oriented traits of the males are revered in contrast to feminine traits which are considered passive. In the Mexican culture, men are perceived as competent, rational, independent and objective.

Sign up to view the full document!

They are thus the head of families. Women are viewed as passively with feminine traits like intuition. A high percentage of Mexican cultural values are also embedded in Americans social and economic values. Contemporary issues affecting the Mexican Americans The main issues affecting the Mexican Americans today touch on immigration, Hispanic health and substance abuse among the youths. America has executed an overhaul of immigration laws which has been in the debate by policymakers over the years. The bill intends to stop more Mexicans migrating into the US. However, it is yet to be passed in Congress. This paper is limited in that some information was collected from secondary sources. However, most of it was collected during the social work within the Mexican Hispanic community. It largely provides factual information on the history and progress of community since they became members of the larger American society.

Sign up to view the full document!

References Engstrom, D.  Hispanics in the United States: An agenda for the twenty-first century. Pew Research Center Hispanic Trends. Groger, J. Trejo, S. J.  Falling behind or moving up?: The intergenerational progress of Mexican Americans. d. Retrieved from http://www. pbs. org/opb/historydetectives/feature/mexican-americans/ Schmitz, K. Diefenthaler, S.

Sign up to view the full document!

From $10 to earn access

Only on Studyloop

Original template

Downloadable